Monday, December 5, 2011

NFL Play Off Predictions


NFL Playoff Predictions  - with a month left

AFC: Race for the top seed


Houston—they have a 9 and 3 record now, 12 and 4 is what I predict for them. They have a game at Cincinnati next week, and against Tennessee the final week of the season. It’s going to be difficult to beat two desperate teams trying to make the playoffs with a third string quarterback.

New England—they have a 9 and 3 record now, and will have a 13 and 3 record at season’s end. I just don’t see who they might lose too, and they will get home field advantage in the playoffs. They won’t lose against a lesser team as they push for home field advantage. 

Baltimore—9 and 3 now, and I predict that they will be 12 and 4 at the end of the season. I have a hard time believing that they will show up every single week against inferior competition, especially teams fighting for their playoff lives. 

Pittsburgh—9 and 3 now, and I predict 13 and 3 at season’s end as well. They have a very difficult game left (at San Francisco) but entirely winnable. Past that in week fourteen, and they are 13 and 3 and hold the tie breaker on New England. 

Division titles:

East Division:
New England has a two game lead with four to go. They have four relatively easy games left, and I don’t see how they will cough up that lead. My prediction: 13 and 3, AFC East title, #2 seed in the AFC.

South Division:
Houston has a two game lead with four to go, and there is no way that they will be caught. They are built to win even with just an average quarterback, so the playoffs shouldn’t be a problem with a rookie. My prediction: 12 and 4, AFC South title, #3 seed in the AFC


Central Division:
This is the tightest divisional race that is left. Baltimore holds the tiebreaker, and has the slightly easier schedule. I just don’t believe that they will go undefeated for four games when everyone else is fighting for the playoffs. My prediction: Pittsburgh, 13 and 3, Central title, #1 seed in the AFC

West Division: I really believe more in Oakland than Denver, but Denver’s schedule is considerably easier. Oakland has Detroit, Green Bay and the Charger left while the Broncos have New England, Buffalo, and the Jay Cutler less Bears. My prediction: Denver, 10 and 6, West title, #4 seed in the AFC

Wild cards: 

I’m not considering anyone that is already two games out, but even then, there are four teams tied at 7 and 5 for the second wild card.
Obviously, Baltimore is my pick for the first wild card as they are two games ahead of all others. They will get the 5 seed in the AFC.

7 and 5 teams:


Oakland: They have a game at Green Bay, and home against Detroit and San Diego. I don’t think they have enough experience to win 2 of those 3 games. I predict 9 and 7 and out of the playoffs.
Cincinnati: They have two very tough games left, Houston and Baltimore. I don’t see how they can beat a superior team that is also involved in a playoff hunt. I predict 9 and 7 and out of the playoffs.
Tennessee: they have New Orleans and at Houston left. I think they will also end up 9 and 7 and out of the playoffs this year.
NY Jets: They have by far the easiest schedule of the 7 and 5 teams. They are playing the Giants, Eagles, Dolphins, and Chiefs. No super easy wins there, but as long as they don’t stub their toe twice, they will end up 10 and 6 and in the playoffs. 

Conclusion: My predictions
Pittsburgh, New England get byes at 13 and 3.
Houston plays the Jets in the 3/6 matchup.
Denver hosts Baltimore in the 4/5 game.



NFC Playoff Picture:
 
NFC: Race for the top seed
Well, this is a lot shorter of a list than the AFC. Green Bay pretty much has this spot wrapped up. Their remaining games are Oakland, Chicago and Detroit at home and a visit to Kansas City. I think it would be foolish to predict a 16 and 0 season at this point, but they won’t lose twice. My prediction: 15 and 1, #1 seed in the NFC

Division titles:

East Division: Dallas and New York have two games left against each other, so this division is far from decided. However, Dallas’s other two games are easier—Tampa Bay and Philadelphia instead of Washington and the Saints. Because of that, I’ll go with Dallas at 10 and 6 and the 4 seed in the NFC. 

South Division: New Orleans has a two game lead with four to go. The question isn’t will they win the division, but will they get the two seed in the playoffs? I think they are playing well enough that I am willing to predict they run the table: 13 and 3, South title, and 2 seed in the NFC.

Central Division: Obviously, the Packers are going to win their division. They clinched already with two teams over 500 in their division. The only remaining question is can they get all four? They are going to get everyone’s best shot for the rest of the year. I predict a 15 and 1 record and home field advantage.

West Division: Seeing as San Francisco already clinched, I can’t be wrong. They’ve got a home game against Pittsburgh, and three road games in the division in the final month. I don’t think they’ll win the Pittsburgh game or go undefeated on the road in the division. I predict a West title, 12 and 4 record, and a 3 seed in the playoffs. 

Wild cards: 

Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and the Giants are all in play for the wild cards. I am discarding teams two or more games out with only four to play. As I already predicted the Cowboys as East Division winners, I won’t include them either. 

Chicago—7 and 5 now, and I predict they will get to 9 and 7 at best. They have Caleb Hainie at quarterback, and games at Denver and Green Bay remaining. I don’t see any way Hainie leads them to the playoffs. 

Atlanta: 7 and 5 now. They hit the soft part of their schedule at the right time. Their second hardest remaining game is at Carolina. They are a veteran team and will come to play every week from here on out. I predict a 10 and 6 record for them and the 5 seed. 

Detroit: 7 and 5 now. They play Minnesota, at Oakland, San Diego, and at Green Bay. I think at Oakland is their entire season, and that they will that game and play their way into the playoffs like men. I predict a 10 and 6 record and the number six seed in the playoffs. 

Giants: 6 and 6 now. They have several tough games left, two against Dallas, Washington, and at the Jets. They will probably split those games, which is not good enough because they are already one behind.

Conclusion: My predictions
Green Bay (15-1) and New Orleans (13-3) get the top two seeds and the byes.
San Francisco hosts Detroit in the 3/6 matchup
Dallas hosts Atlanta in the 4/5 matchup

No comments:

Post a Comment